Friday, June 29, 2007

The River Is Calling


I was doing a little research on the Little Miami River this afternoon. I'm taking the day Monday to kayak about 25 miles of the river to scout it our for our family canoe outings. (The picture above is near the origin of the river as it empties into the Clifton gorge) On our first little trip a week or so ago, I parked the pick-up vehicle at the wrong branch of the river and we paddled past the end point I had hoped we would land at.

Then a few days after that, I tried again with Deb and the girls and we ended up pulling out at a difficult spot which required about a .25 mile hike with the canoe to a parking lot nearby.

So I need to get a little more familiar with the territory before stranding the family again.

Besides the mapping value of the excursion, of course, will be the chance to be refreshed and have my cup filled. The margins of my life and schedule have disappeared as I've launched back into full-time ministry as well as maintaining a presence at Starbucks. I'm giving it until the end of July to settle or balance...then evaluating the health of continuing with the current obligations.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

On a previouse post you stated:

"I don’t foresee the church/institution dropping completely off the map of my journey, but it will certainly no longer be the epicenter of spiritual activity that it once was. I am convinced that this is a very healthy transition for me as well as for my family." DEC 2004

Now your saying you back in?

what's changed?

Church's using marketing ploys, demographics, research, behavior models, buzz words will dilute and marginalize real christians.

How many trade magazines are there for church's today?

I hope that your reasons behind getting back into the "game" are true or else you will end up empty from what I mentioned above eating away at you.

God bless.

Chris said...

Wow, that's a great question. I think I'll respond in the form of a new post since it probably resonates with a few more people and friends who sometimes check in on me.

Thanks, "Anonymous!"