Friday, January 21, 2005

Nothing Worth Reading Here

I might as well confess right off the bat...I got nothin’! And my nothing was multiplied by nothing when I did something I swore I wouldn’t do again. I was typing directly into my blog instead of creating a draft in MSWord first then saving it. So when I went to publish the page...something happened (of course) and I’m starting all over again.

Actually, I’ve been fighting off a cold & sore throat the past couple of days. When it comes time to concentrate, read, and focus...it seems hopeless today! And yesterday my youngest daughter got sick from something. She literally puked her guts out and I just about cried watching her little lip quiver after the heaving stopped. I hate when my kids are sick! But my oldest daughter is great at the moment. She’s got a cool new haircut and her first basketball game tomorrow in our church league for kids. She’s five :-) Already, she has made one basket at practice and is hitting “the red box a lot.” Fun! Fun!

We’re supposed to be getting 4 to 6 inches of snow tomorrow from a little “Alberta Clipper” which has charted its course across Ohio. Unfortunately, that could turn my 8-hour shift at Starbucks tomorrow evening into a “felt” 16 hours. The afore-mentioned basketball game might very well be cancelled too. That would be a bummer...for our daughter and her dad!

I had a few interesting conversations today...including one with my wife (marital communication is always a plus). I am so fortunate to have such a steady rational woman to live with. (Although, if she was completely rational she wouldn’t be living with ME.) Anyway...a couple of those conversations had to do with a difficult decision I am facing. It appears that my pursuit of a simpler and reductionistic lifestyle is being challenged by my tendencies towards over-commitment, helping others, using time efficiently, and just slipping back into some old life-patterns. How is it that we...or more accurately...how can I over-analyze, rationalize, and legitimize to the point of completely contradicting myself by the end of a dialogue??!!

Well, stay tuned for more on that decision and what the outcome will be. This quarter’s worth of Masters classes is proving to be my heaviest load ever. And unfortunately, the final four weeks of my quarter coincide with my four-week management training program at Starbucks. I’m not behind in my classes just yet (except maybe one) but the plan was to actually be ahead of the syllabi...knowing how the final two weeks of my quarters usually look. Somebody pray!

As always, the simple therapeutic process of blathering thoughts into this medium seems to stimulate the sense of balance and retrospection which have become so valuable to me of late. So what about you?? Fellow journey-er...blog thyself.

No comments: