Thursday, October 06, 2005

Blog Blockage

As you can probably tell from the sporadic frequency of my last few posts, I'm experiencing some kind of bloggers block.

Actually, I just replied to a blog that really set me off and it's got me wondering if this is a valid use of time. In a recent conversation with a friend who boldly questions the value of this form of communication, he referred to most of the blogs he reads as some form of intellectual masturbation. Now if you can thoughtfully consider that phrase for a moment without being offended or defensive, you might have to agree that there's certainly some truth in that.

I know there have been times when I struggle over the wording or vocabulary in my post because of the response I'm trying to affect or produce. Or I labor over the content of my post to be sure that it's more substantial than the mention of daily rituals and events.

The other issue causing me to rant a bit here is the utter lack of accountability and careless spewing of words which passes for profundity. If things are being said in a blog which are not preceded by a willingness to share the same information in person, then stop wasting everyone's time and go do the right thing.

I'll stop before I get any more stirred up. But as a community of blogging believers, let's be careful how we malign the church and stir up dissent.

1 comment:

David said...

great post chris.
I often wonder the same thing as I sit in front of my computer trying to type words that communicate what I am really thinking and at the same time show that I have at least attained to an average level of intelligence.
It is, at times, excessive because as you said there is a lack of accountability inherent in the format. But just like any community it gets messy here and we need posts like yours to remind us that we aren't alone and whatever we write should be reflecting the kingdom life and narrow path we are walking together.

Peace