Wednesday, December 29, 2004

Tsunamis, Forgotten Offenders, and Bill Cosby

Well, if you're wondering what the connection is between the components of my title, just read a little further...because I'm not sure I fully grasp what's emerging here myself. As a matter of fact, I would say a good fifty-percent of my blogs begin with the end in mind. Mostly, I just try to engage the living process of reflection and hope that clarity comes into focus eventually. Of course, then there are blogs like my previous one which just scratch the surface or fulfill some obligatory notion of consistency. Hopefully, you don't have to put up with many of those.

But today I am engaged in purposeful reflection tucked away here in the far recesses of Panera's cafe. Moments like these rarely happen unintentionally. I began the process with a brief prayer...asking guidance for the day's journey.

On my way to checking email, I looked over the newstories of the day. The Asia death toll from the earthquake-generated tsunamis nears 68,000. I am completely overwhelmed looking at photos of the destruction and grieving survivors. In the "top headlines" link I see a caption reminding of the murder and fetus-snatching in Kansas. Then I stumble across an article on Bill Cosby and his "prophetic" crusade to turn young blacks from bling to books...which is not so well-received.

I then began to surf some of the "deeper" blogs (I definitely see my blog as an informal novice attempt which will hopefully develop into something "deeper" in the future) and stumbled across all kinds of issues. First I happened across a post describing the conflict with sin...a conflict I am certainly not unfamiliar with. Then onto my Daily Dig at www.bruderhof.com for a convicting look at cons and the choice we each have between self-exultation and pursuing God. And just as I had hoped...the process of focusing brings clarity and purpose to my path. Unfortunately, there is quite a difference between being clear on something and clearly being something or someone. In light of the overwhelming need presented by natural disaster...in light of the overwhelming odds and statistics generated by street crime, drugs, and poverty...in light of my own personal struggle and conflict with sin...in light of all those dark things, what will I do today? That is the recurring question for each of us which most ignore or drown out with busyness. What will I do today? Or more importantly, who will I be today? Will I be someone who carries truth and servanthood like a familiar tool of trade? I certainly hope so.

No comments: